Monday, October 15, 2012

Sow hope

I realized this morning that it has been almost a month since I blogged last. A fact I find amusing because I have had a lot to blog about in that time. Looking back on the past year, it saddens me to think about how much of that time seemed to be filled with a sense of scarcity and fear. I am learning more and more that these two emotions seem to go hand in hand. When fear enters my life, a sense of scarcity isn't far behind.

I made a conscious choice to walk away from that kind of thinking, but it didn't happen over night. It has been a long process that is still going on. I've worked hard in that time to create the kind of life that is abundant and joyful. Even when my life hasn't felt particularly abundant or joyful, I have worked with that end in mind. And now, it seems that all of a sudden, there is abundance everywhere--even to the point of physical exhaustion some days. But I'm not complaining. And I realize that the abundance in our lives did not happen suddenly. It  is the fruit of the process. I am thankful that when God heard the intention of my heart, He showed me what it means to truly be part of the creative process.

Of course, I also realize this season of abundant blessings could abruptly end. But I am refusing to live with a sense of forboding joy--which is a task in itself. I remind myself daily to just live in the blessing. The here and now. I just want to live in a way that honors the gifts I have been given. As fleeting as though they may be, they are a gift from a generous God. And the impermanence of the gifts doesn't make His love any less enduring.

But to catch you up, here is a little bit of what we have been doing the past couple of months...

This is a picture of our own little sanctuary in the backyard. We extended the bed to add a hammock swing. We haven't gotten to relax in it much yet, but that is going to change very soon.
The view from our deck
Here is our chicken coop. It truly is a joy to walk out into the backyard and see this sweet little gem in the corner of our yard.

The chicken house
Thanks to James (my not-really-a-cousin-but-grew-up-that-way-friend), we brought home these girls. After a rocky start, they are settled in and we have already collected eight eggs from the two oldest hens. They bring us so much entertainment.
Pearl, Ruby, and Aggie
 We also brought home a feisty little black chick named Fannie. This is how Fannie arrived at our house because she kept escaping the kennel. Fannie's adventurous nature got the best of her when she escaped yesterday morning and was killed by our Dachsund, Toby. Needless to say, we went to church with heavy hearts yesterday morning.
Fannie, the baby chick
 Here are some pretty cherry tomatoes from our garden. We are still harvesting peppers from summer. We also have eggplant and some volunteer cucumber and squash growing wildly. Hopefully, we will be planting the rest of the fall garden this week.
Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes
 Here is one evening's collection from our pecan crop this year. Summer rains yielded full and abundant pecans. We have picked over three hundred pounds and still have more to go.

The never-ending pecan crop


We are also slowly picking wonderfully juicy lemons from our Meyer lemon tree as they ripen. Oh, and did I mention we also have real jobs? But that's a whole other post.

Today, my prayer is that you will believe the promise of God in your own life and begin to partner with Him to sow abundance into your own life even in the midst of scarcity and fear. That, my friends, is hope. Reach out, grasp it.


No comments: