Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Primum non nocere

When I began working on my master's in counseling, I was taught that when counseling a client, a professional should Do no harm. A relatively simple concept. Short and to the point. It is a directive, not a request. It is not conditional and needs no qualification. Do no harm.

I've been thinking about this maxim lately. Mainly because I have seen an incredible amount of harm done. I'm fully human and have done harm so I know what it looks like. I know what it is to have hurt someone's feelings. I know what it is to have broken relationships with those you love, to act coldly, to keep score, to give up on someone. But I also know what it is to pray for restoration that is yet to come, to turn the other cheek, to return hate with love, to extend an apology, to try to pick up the pieces when my own brokenness caused someone else's, to humble myself before another because I messed up. Of course, I still regularly get it all wrong. I still act out my own brokenness on someone else. But hopefully, I get it right more than I get it wrong. And when I'm aware of it, I try to fix it. Even in my personal life--especially in my personal life--I try to do no harm.

I wonder what would happen if all of us humans lived by that motto? Would there be less pieces to pick up, and more healed hearts? Would we not act with disregard when we are trusted with the love of another? Would we realize the implications of our actions, and act judiciously when we would rather hold someone in contempt? Would we walk away when we'd rather assault? Would we stand guard over the hearts of the wounded when it is safer to retreat? Would see with clear eyes our own potential for inflicting harm and know that sometimes we may be tempted to use it in the name of good, or even worse, God?

I like to think so. I'm an optimist, even though sometimes I have to remind myself of that fact. As long as there is potential, there is hope. And hope is bigger than our brokenness when it is placed in a God who redeems and restores.

1 comment:

Goyland said...

always a prisoner of hope, not too optimistic these days for the evidence doesnt lend me faith in a cheap optimism. do no harm. stay strong