Saturday, July 7, 2012

The verdict is in.

So I opened another one of those letters from the District Attorney's office yesterday. While I was off on a mission trip the last week of June, "our robber" (as I tend to call him) went back to court. I was happy to not have to testify and even better, to be out of town while it happened. I fully expected this letter in the mail, but instead of reading once again that his trial had been postponed, I instead read that he pled guilty.

Those were words I didn't expect to see. Then I read that he was sentenced to ten years, which I then read was probated five years. So after a minimum of six months in a lock-down drug treatment facility, our robber will once again be out and about.

How do I feel about this, you may be wondering? I honestly don't know. I am conflicted. As soon as the familiar ball of fear welled up in my chest, it just as quickly turned to anger. Then there was the self-doubt. Did the words in my victim impact statement get this guy an easier sentence? Was I serious when I said I forgive him? Because I'm certainly not thinking the thoughts of a forgiving person now. I have some stuff to sort out--to say the very least. But what I do know is that how I respond to this information, whether I choose to live in a space of fear and anxiety the next six months and the days that come after, or a place of peace, has nothing to do with him, but everything to do with me. I can't change the sentence, the letter I wrote, him, or anything else other than myself. Just me. And I'm already doing that. Maybe that is the forgiveness in action that I spoke of when I wrote "I forgive you." Because I'm realizing you can't hold on to the hurt and move past it at the same time. You have to loosen your grip.

No comments: