Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Signed, sealed, delivered..."

I turn forty in a little over five months. While I am not dwelling on this fact, I do feel the need to make sure I enter this new decade with a little less baggage--especially in the form of regret.

Last night I committed to sending at least one handwritten note or letter to someone every week for the next year. That means at least 52 notes, and hopefully, 52 smiles. Mother Teresa said There are no great acts of love, only small acts done with great love. She's right. I used to think I had to do something big to leave a legacy. I thought that was the only way my life would really matter. But I'm pretty sure I had it all wrong. I may never have the gifts, money, or influence to do the things I would like to do to bring the Kingdom of God on Earth, but I have everything I need to be faithful in the small things. I'm beginning to think that is all God really wants of any of us. And honestly, I'm tired of making excuses for myself. Bob Goff says love does. I agree.

So today I ask you: What is your own small act of love?

No comments: