Friday, May 18, 2012

"Here comes the sun."

Donald Miller shares a story about how he never liked jazz until one night when he was outside a theater in Portland and saw a man playing a saxophone. He said that the whole time he stood there, the man never opened his eyes. He says that sometimes you have to see somebody love something to be able to love it yourself.

Yesterday I walked out of a hospital with my husband. Hopefully, it was the last hard leg of this journey we have been on for 10 months now. He spent three days isolated in a hospital room, his view little more than a piece of sky and the roof of the neighboring building. Stripped of his belongings, with limited human contact, he waited for the radiation to course through his body on a mission to seek and destroy harmful cells. One little pill can make that happen. I keep telling him it is worth the struggle and frustration.

I know it is worth it. As we walked out from under the shade of the portico into the warm sunlight, I watched him stop in the middle of a busy sidewalk, tilt his head back and let the light wash over him. It was as if he physically melted a bit. I love the sun. I love nature, the outdoors, and the beauty of creation. But I love it all a little bit differently after that moment. You only have to see a man with his face lifted to the sun and tears in his eyes to see everything more clearly. And in the words of George Harrison, "It's alright. It's alright."

No comments: